Conference Day Two: Friday, 31 March 2017
08:30 AM - 08:55 AM REGISTRATION AND MORNING COFFEE
08:55 AM - 09:00 AM Opening Remarks from the Chair
Innovation continues to be a top priority for the administration and rightly so. The Economy needs to evolve for the future and move away from relying solely on traditional industries. This session will bring together different stakeholders, looking at research, commmercialisation, investment, funding and scaling innovation. With insights from universities, researchers and venture capitalists, this panel will investigate what it take to kickstart the new economy and cease opportunities for future growth.
- Examining the research and development landscape and opportunities for the future
- Commercialising research and collaboration between researchers and commercial organisations
- Collaborating with start-ups and universities
On the one hand, digital disruption is an opportunity of a lifetime, but on the other hand it is littered with risks. As a business leader, the challenge is to determine if the right balance has been achieved. In the fast moving world of the digital economy, it is up to an organisation’s leader to pave the way towards creating an innovative environment through demonstrating their ability to walk the talk.
- The top 5 changes leaders need to make to embrace an innovative culture
- Understanding the importance of agile leadership in the digital economy
- Maximising an organisation’s human capital engagement to bring out their best and
- brightest ideas
- Importance of setting government regulation;
- Collaboration between institutional learning and business
- The understanding and incorporation of an “innovative ecosystem” in business strategy
10:20 AM - 10:40 AM Building a Culture of Digital Readiness in a World where Exponential Change is the Norm, ,
This session will explore Aurecon’s digital readiness strategy – how an large incumbent organisation is seeing itself up for exponential change. It will delve into improving the internal process of digitisation for both internal and external stakeholders, through the lens of Mckinsey’s three horizons.
- Investigating new trends in the corporate environment
- Improving the digitisation process: Upgrades and challenges
- Exploring Mckinsey’s three horizons
10:40 AM - 11:10 AM MORNING TEA
Narrative is as critical to your innovation agenda as technology and strategy. In driving transformation, story telling will dictate success as a digital leader. It is important to engaging business leaders and frontline staff and communicating your vision. This session will investigate how business innovators are pushing their innovation agenda and creating authentic change through creative story telling
- Key elements to shape the narrative around your innovation agenda
- Storytelling your way to culture change
- Communicating vision and success: Quick wins
- The power of good news stories
11:50 AM - 12:30 PM Incubating Disruptive Ideas and Scaling them to Measurable ROI, ,
Capturing disruptive ideas and converting them to disruptive products and innovation that impact the bottom line. The challenge for large, incumbents businesses, is not only sparking new ideas but ensuring that they make a difference to the bottom line. This session will evaluate incubators and partnerships both internally and within the innovation ecosystem.
- Building incubators within an organization: Pros and Cons
- Scaling new ideas
- Avoiding cannabalisation of revenue and resources
- Building mutually beneficial partnerships within the innovation ecosystem
12:30 PM - 1:10 PM CASE STUDY: The Department of Internal Affairs’ Journey Leading Digitally Enabled Change for Improved Delivery, ,
This session will investigate how the DIA is leading digital enabled change centrally, across all siloes for better service delivery for its users.
- Working with different partners and departments of various levels of maturity and different sizes
- Uncovering their specific requirements
- To mandate or not to mandate
1:10 PM - 2:10 PM LUNCH
2:10 PM - 2:50 PM Culture Eats Strategy for Breakfast: Setting your Business Up for Exponential Innovation, , , ,
It is critical to have the right culture in place to drive change. This session will investigate strategies that have worked to gain buy-in and shift attitudes in the upper echelons of the business for innovation to be effective. It will address the challenges of embedding design thinking, an ambiguous methodology into a highly risk averse culture.
- Challenging the status quo and creating a movement
- Addressing the permafrost; Middle management lag
- Tips and tricks to engage people within the business
- Effective stakeholder management to drive a shift in mindset
- Challenges and lessons learnt
- The power of a safe work culture
2:50 PM - 3:30 PM INTERNATIONAL CASE STUDY CASE STUDY: Turning the Entire Business to an Innovation Group: Embedding Innovation Responsibility Across All Parts of the Business, ,
This session will explore how DBS has reinvented itself to become an innovation agency by advocating “Innovation is Everyone’s Responsibility”. It will delve into the innovation scorecard and integrating innovation related KPIs across all levels.
3:30 PM - 4:00 PM AFTERNOON TEA
4:00 PM - 4:40 PM Scaling Innovation, Benchmarking Success and Setting ROI for Digital Transformation, , , , , , , ,
It is critical to ensure that digital transformation is on track and reaping the benefits of maintaining market share and growing revenue streams while staying ahead of the curve. What is the best way to do this. And how is one meant to measure success, benchmark and look at ROI with a strategy that flexible and changing all the time.
- Benchmarking the success of digital transformation
- Measuring ROI on digital transformation projects
- Identifying challenges and how to overcome them
One of the biggest obstacles to innovation in the public sector and most incumbents are the associated risks. This session will lay out the biggest risks and those less obvious ones and strategies to overcome them and minimalise the cost and risk of failure.
- Identifying the biggest risks of disruption
- What are the best strategies to mitigate this risks without compromising innovation
- Shifting mindsets: Is failure inherent to success?
5:20 PM - 5:50 PM The next Century, a thought experiment
This interactive session will lead you through the process of future thinking to establish the social, governance, economic and technological landscape as it unfolds over the coming century. This session will explore new technologies and trends, and will seek to predict the changes and opportunities that the future will bring along with strategies to deal with them. This will be a fun yet informative session and essential for anyone who needs to plan ahead with a vision for the future.